Skip to main content

Common errors in English: Usage of Make and Do

 Make and Do


Incorrect :She did a cup of tea for me. 


Correct : She made a cup of tea for me.


Incorrect : Everybody should make their duty. 


Correct : Everybody should do their duty.


Note: "Make” usually means to construct or prepare something; whereas 'do' means to perform or accomplish a thing. Note the use of "make” and 'do' in the following sentences:


He made a lot of mistakes. 

She made a promise to help me. 

You have made a nice speech. 

Don't make a noise. 

I would like to make you a request.

Please make haste. 

Don't make any lame excuse. 

They made fun of the girl. 

She is making a bed for her baby.  

This will do you no good. 

I shall do my best to help you. 

Would you please do me a favor? 

The boy is doing his lesson. 

He was then doing exercises. 

My son is doing business. 

He has done me wrong.


 Most Popular Course:Data Science of Harvard, MIT, IBM.... 






Popular posts from this blog

MEANING OF "Bridge the divide."

Amazon today's offer: Deal of the day "Bridge the divide." (Also: Bridge the gap) This  means, to bring two sides closer together, overcoming  their differences (the "divide" that separates them).  This divide may be political, social, or any other  major difference between groups of persons.  Limited Time Offer:  50% Off on Robot  Vacuum Cleaner Most Popular Course:Data Science of Harvard, MIT, IBM....  John Academy: 97% Off on Popular Online Courses Amazon Best Seller in Appliances Amazon Best Seller in Home and Kitchen Amazon Best Seller in Office Products Amazon Best Seller in Baby Products