Skip to main content

Common error in English: Usage of Simple infinitive and Perfect infinitive

Simple infinitive and Perfect infinitive


Incorrect : If she invited me, I would have attended the party. 


Correct : If she invited me, I would attend the party.


Incorrect : If you had lent me some money, I would be grateful to you.


Correct : If you had lent me some money, I would have been grateful to you.


Note : In the second conditional referring to an imaginary future action, you should use simple infinitive after the modal would, could or might. But in the third conditional which refers to something which actually did not happen in the past, the modal (could, would or might) is followed by the perfect infinitive (have + past participle)


Most Popular Course:Data Science of Harvard, MIT, IBM.... 






Popular posts from this blog

MEANING OF "Bridge the divide."

Amazon today's offer: Deal of the day "Bridge the divide." (Also: Bridge the gap) This  means, to bring two sides closer together, overcoming  their differences (the "divide" that separates them).  This divide may be political, social, or any other  major difference between groups of persons.  Limited Time Offer:  50% Off on Robot  Vacuum Cleaner Most Popular Course:Data Science of Harvard, MIT, IBM....  John Academy: 97% Off on Popular Online Courses Amazon Best Seller in Appliances Amazon Best Seller in Home and Kitchen Amazon Best Seller in Office Products Amazon Best Seller in Baby Products